Sunday 1 December 2013

Silver & Gold


ONE ICY MORNING as the light crept over the edge of my day, I stepped out into the frosted world and found there on the cold ground a lost wing of summer, its flutter of gold now flightless and fallen, as the crisp stilling of silver winter rose up. 


Everywhere a quiet alchemy was taking place. The cold gate latch ice-clanged. Frost and rust: strange playmates.


Here I stood, on this late November day, as the Earth's Wild Jeweller threaded her silver through the rich golds of autumn.


Birch trees edged with peeling paperbark were amber-lit by the first light against blue moonstone-cold fields; autumn's late-clinging leaves shone golden in the silver morning.


Old bracken and new ivy, brown and green, were adorned by the twin lustre of those two precious metals of fable and proverb, found in Long John, in apple, in moonlight, in heart, in pirate's swag and tax collector's booty. The Earth's Wild Jeweller had cast a metallurgist's spell to enchant any lost or jaded treasure-hunter.


I stalked the paths of this 24 carat world, the treasure chest of my heart full up with iridescent awe, and ringing in a momentary gladness.


As the light found its way over ice-stilled leaves and grass blades caught in the electrolysis of winter...


Fallen acorns and upturned mushrooms and leaf skeletons grew tiny, quiet crystals of the rarest value...


And all the while, in this shining hush, not one of the world's appraising marketeers could fathom or match the value of this, my silver and gold.


15 comments:

bright star said...

Lovely post ,I feel as if I have been on a beautiful walk even though I have been sewing indoors most of today!

Reifyn said...

Those are great treasures indeed that few ever find, as they Look but do not See.
I loved seeing each little spike of frost in a number of the pictures: I love the wintertime, and the late autumn that heralds it in.
When I saw the thumbnail of the first picture, I thought sure you'd found a butterfly sitting on the ground; but it was only the wing, poor old thing. Still, if even in one's death they can leave behind some beauty, then that is surely a great gift.

Wyld Oak said...

Oh, yes. Earth's gifts are the true silver and gold, and earth is our only paradise, as Edward Abbey said. Your words resonate with me today as always, especially after reading Pope Francis's critique of money-centered economies of injustice, here: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-pope-on-the-financial-system-inequality-money-2013-11?fb_action_ids=10201829018460717&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Unknown said...

Beautiful, just beautiful! Thank you for sharing your very special alchemy with us. Like Rumplestiltskin, you spin common fibers into silver and gold. Thank you.

Heather said...

Wonderful magical images. You are an artist with the camera and words, as well as with paint.

gz said...

Beautiful and priceless.
Blessings Be
xx gz

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Here am I revelling in Summer's green and growth, still half-living in England's Summer past, and now you show me your land just as lovely, smelling of frost and iron and leaf mold. I enjoyed a few snatched days on the edge of Nattadon Wood this year, reaping Morris dancing sticks from leat clearance, and thrilled to see your work (and Alan Lee's) in the Widdershins exhibition.
I hope the weather stays this good for you all winter!

Anonymous said...

:) x

Lesel said...

Beautiful words, color, light, and texture. Visiting The Hermitage always lifts my spirits. Thank you, Rima.

Charlotte said...

What a gorgeous basket of winter. I love the wrought iron bracken fronds and the crystal frosting that winter brings with it. Thanks for the virtual walk; it was very much appreciated on a day when we are wrapped in blankets and require mustard plasters to clear the head and chest.

Bedford Gypsy said...

I love the way you describe natures beauty, I am so happy you marvelled in it, and thank you for the lovely photos.

Barb Cady said...

A beautiful poem of a post, thank you. Thank goodness there are people who see and hear this beauty. It may not be to your taste, but I love Brian Pattens poem a Blade of Grass, do you know it? I love my calendar, can't wait to use it! X

Mo Crow said...

you weave such strong magic with your words and photos Rima thank you!

Karen said...

Beautiful. Yes, the best silver and gold that is worth more than any sparkly trinket that even a magpie might collect. x

Candice said...

Okay . . . having just found you, you will now be part of my daily blog visits. Gawd, I love your stuff. So much to catch up on!