Monday 22 April 2013

The Nisse Mother Clock


A HILL-HAG LOOKS OUT from where she crouches underneath a tree whose roots entangle her white hair. 


Amongst the roots also hide Nisse - small red-capped Norwegian gnomes, and outside beyond the hill, dusk is coming in. I can hear crows. 


The hill-hag who is older than the hill, or perhaps, even, is the hill, crouches there patiently. Her large hands tending a brew which bubbles inside a double horse-headed cauldron over an underground fire.


Only the Nisser know what aeons of ingredients the hill-hag sprinkles into the brew, but it's a time-turning concoction, and the magic is more ancient than I can say.


This is the latest Once Upon O'Clock to come from my busy paintbrushes. It was made for Alette Thorsnes in Norway who asked for a clock wound up in Norwegian folklore, old wise women, trees and Nisser, and this is what I conjured.



I was particularly pleased with this gnarled northern scene, and so decided to turn it into prints, which I don't normally do with the clocks, as I don't think they always work without their hands and numbers.


You can buy small prints of this Nisse Mother and larger archival giclée prints here, which will be joined by some other new giclée prints over the coming days, so keep your eyes open.
My clock order list is shortening slowly, but I'm still not taking on any new clock orders until all those outstanding are done, and I'll let you know here when that day comes, though at the rate I paint, by then my hair might not look dissimilar to hers...



25 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

this is beautiful.

Lunar Hine said...

I like these Nisse, and the sage medicine of the hag. I would drink it. I am exactly that kind of fool.

Giallo Antico said...

Another wonderful painting from you Rima!

Ronnie (RR) said...

It's stunning Rima, I'm so pleased with my print. I tried looking up the story behind her and thought she was the keeper of elves, it's so nice to find out the true meaning behind the painting. The clock is gorgeous. It works so well as a print too. I will look out for your others, I'll probably add them to my wish list as I have to save the pennies as my lorry needs work. How are you getting on with your new lorry?
Hopefully I'll make it down to Weird Wonderful this year too, so see you there.

Ms. said...

YAY oh busy paintbrush!!! I have in mind a new set of cards and will examine my finances in May in hopes of purchasing same, meanwhile I have shared this post on Face book saying "If you love these amazing mythic images as I do--look at this site and consider purchasing some images. Rima is printing greeting cards again. I got a set of images a year ago and slowly, selectively let them go one at a time to special friends, who found them to be their favorite cards of all time." Good Monday morning to you of wise and wonderful one.

Heather said...

I love this clock and am sure Alette will love it too. If I don't get my hair cut soon I shall resemble the hill-hag! Your work is always distinctive and so beautiful.

Jess said...

It's such a treat to see one of your clocks again. :) She looks to me as though she sprinkles her wisdom upon the times ahead and all who use the clock. I love the imagery and the wonderful bronze glow of the clock face!xx

Alettesiriane said...

The soupe is very good .You can come and gain strength from it when needed.I love this clock .
Hilse fra Alette Thorsnes

Janel said...

I just love and enjoy everything about you! You are such an amazing and unique individual...as an artist and a writer, you are wonderful and talented. I just love it when you post with new art or a story to tell Rima! Thanks for sharing Nd happy spring!

Lynn said...

She's wonderful, Rima!

Anonymous said...

Your work stirs such deep things in me!

Tonia said...

It looks perfect against the mossy stone wall - as though it wanted to be outside.

Velma Bolyard said...

this one is wonderful, truly!

Acornmoon said...

How lovely to see your latest clock creation.

Holly said...

Stunning!

Karen said...

This is fabulous Rima. My favourite of all your clocks so far I think... although I do love them all. x

Priya Sebastian said...

Just the way you mould your beautiful drawings and compositions to fit into shapes of wood is a pleasure to behold.It must take so much skill and thought. This piece like all your work is unique and unforgettable.

Heather said...

This is just gorgeous. What a wonderful piece!

rossichka said...

Dear Rima, I think that your clocks possess some inner power, a specific atmosphere and magnetism that take us to worlds unknown, full of mystery and beauty. I suppose that they turn into family treasures and no matter how long their hands will move, they will be kept as relics...
I'm most impressed by the hands of Nisse Mother and these mysterious seeds she's dropping in the brew...
Happy Spring!:)

Emma said...

Beautiful - as always! I love your work.

Vickie said...

love this clock, so appropriate! you are so generous with your art - I dare say you probably give more than you get! always love to read your words and see your photos and artwork. many many moments of very inspiring and touching posts...thank you Rima! and you single-handedly brought the sexy back to hags!

Joana Su said...

Another amazingly beautiful work!

linden said...

the clock brings beauty to the passing of hours...

Teleterkji said...

Beautiful Nisse Mother Clock.
i wonder if it not run
backwards like
in the land of Nisse.:)

Anonymous said...

Our grandmothers in our Slavic pre-pagan traditions live by the Moon cycles or Moontime