Thursday 6 December 2007

Seven Paintings


I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO PAINT seven paintings ... seven characters representing the seven chakras in each of the seven colours.
Chakra is a Sanskrit term meaning circle or wheel and describes a system that is used in many belief systems. Each chakra point is a place in the body and represents also a spiritual aspect. Taken together the seven chakras describe a flow of energy and a development within.


If you were to look for imagery of the chakras you would most likely find swathes of rainbows and swirling misty colourful evanescences. I chose instead to paint seven interesting and strange characters, in broken oil paint on wooden breadboards. This commission will take time and I will work one by one through the seven from tailbone to the top of my head. In each painting I will include a horizon which crosses the body at the chakra point and an animal associated with the chakra's spiritual aspect. In each painting a colour will dominate, but quietly. I hope that when hung together on their owner's wall, they will look like a series of old icons, strange and perhaps mystical in a very different sense from many other visual representations of old eastern belief systems.



5 comments:

Unknown said...

These are fabulous, well crafted and mysterious. I love the wood you painted on as well.

Anonymous said...

Rima, you are so gifted and talented. I love your style. I hope you'll be sharing more of these as you complete them. (As you can see, I am taking a minute to look through some of your older posts... something I need to allow myself the time to do more often as it is such a treat!)... Donna

Shelley Noble said...

I love the purity of the visual solutions you have created in order to express complicated information. To have simply placed a horizon line at the level of the Chakra is inspired!

Nao said...

You work is enchanted. Your images open doors to those infinite realms where anything is possible and magic, simply, exists. Such worlds, in my opinion, should never be forgotten, and so, I would like to thank you Rima for helping us all to remember.

indra Singh said...

rima,thank you for sharing your magnificent art work,as a friend of bobs iam in awe of what you do....thank you for sharing your life your website and your wonderful home x